Friday, June 15, 2012

Fear and Trembling 1

"Faith was then (in Ancient Greece) a task for a whole lifetime, because it was assumed that proficiency in believing is not acquired either in days or in weeks. When the tried and tested oldster approached his end, had fought the good fight and kept the faith*, his heart was still young enough not to have forgotten the anxiety and trembling that disciplined the youth, that the adult learned to control, but that no man outgrows- except to the extent that he succeeds in going further as early as possible." - Kierkegaard, Soren. Fear and Trembling. 1843.

 * 2 Timothy 4:6-8 (6) For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. (7) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; (8) in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. (American Standard Version)


Dear Lord, please grant us strength of faith so that we will continually move toward Your love. Let us remember You in times of happiness with thanks, and let us have understanding in times of difficulty with equal thanks. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment